A variety of homes are available to rent or buy across the region, ranging from country estates to city apartments to rural cottages; with plots of all sizes available around towns and throughout the rural areas. The Highland Council is prioritising the provision of social housing and new multi-faceted housing developments. As such, the Council is also working with partners to increase the supply of affordable housing in the Highlands.For information on social housing please see the Highland Council Website.
The Highland property market is continuing to out-perform the Scottish average. The average price of a residential property in Highland (based on the Registers of Scotland October-December 2014 Quarterly Statistics) is £167,773 which is an 8% increase compared with the same quarter during the previous year.
Average (mean) price in Highland by house type (as at October-December 2014):
Detached - £217,597
Semi-detached - £139,912
Terraced - £120,976
Flat - £113,477
Estate Agents & Letting Agents
The large number of estate agents and letting agencies operating in different parts of the region include:
- Highland Solicitors Property Centre - Offer a selection of properties for sale and rent across Highland.
- Innes & Mackay - Offer a number of properties as well as advice on selling, buying, borrowing and re-mortgaging.
- Munro & Noble - Estate agents offering property and advice throughout the entire Highland region.
- R & R Urquhart - Estate Agents with three offices in Nairn, Inverness, and Forres (Moray).
- South Forrest - Provide a full Estate Agency service and are members of Highland Solicitors Property Centre.
- Georgesons Property - Estate Agency, Property Factoring & Leasing, with offices in Wick and Thurso.
- McIntyre & Company - One of the longest established firms of solicitors in the West Highlands.
- MacPhee & Partners - West Highland Estate Agency and Solicitors practices with a dedicated property shops in Fort William and Oban.
- Country Life - Premium properties.